2020 Legislative Priorities
Provide Adequate Funding and Resources for Georgia’s Students
- PUT GEORGIA STUDENTS FIRST and guarantee them a modern and top-notch education by updating the state funding formula and protecting students from the damaging impact of inflation since 1985.
- GIVE MORE CHOICES TO PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS by funding expansion of STEAM Programs (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics), 21st Century technology, Modern Career Pathways, and Innovative Educational Opportunities.
- PROTECT THE INTERESTS OF THE MAJORITY OF GEORGIA’S CHILDREN by limiting the diversion of public funds to private education institutions through vouchers, scholarships, tuition credits, or tax exemptions.
- BUILD SAFE AND POSITIVE LEARNING CLIMATES by funding expanded services for school safety, school nursing, behavioral support, and mental health needs.
- INVEST IN SUPPORT FOR REGIONAL EDUCATIONAL SERVICE AGENCIES (RESAs) to support rural school systems and to maximize collaboration and training for all Georgia school systems.
Provide Qualified Teachers and Leaders to Serve Georgia’s Students
- PROUDLY PROMOTE TEACHING AS A NOBLE CAREER PATH and recognize Georgia educators as professionals vital to the economic future of the state of Georgia.
- SUPPORT A LONG-TERM STRATEGY TO RECRUIT, retain, support and develop the highest quality teachers and school leaders in the nation for our students.
- ENCOURAGE TEACHERS TO REMAIN IN GEORGIA AND IN THE PROFESSION by supporting and strengthening Georgia’s Teacher Retirement System (TRS) and state salary schedule.
- REDUCE THE CRITICAL SHORTAGE OF TEACHERS in Georgia classrooms by permitting retired educators to return to work full time without losing their retirement benefit. Retired teachers who return full time would contribute a percentage of their income to TRS, which would generate much-needed revenue for the retirement system.
- ENSURE FAIR ACCOUNTABILITY for teachers and school leaders through valid, reliable, and effective measures.
Support Local School Board Authority
- STAND FOR LOCAL GOVERNANCE BY COMMUNITY BOARDS OF EDUCATION by ensuring that legislation is aligned with constitutional provisions regarding public school governance.
- ENSURE THAT SUPERINTENDENTS SERVING CHILDREN CONTINUE TO BE APPOINTED by locally-elected boards based on a leader’s training and expertise.
SUPPORT THE POSITION STATEMENTS AND PRIORITIES OF THE GEORGIA ASSOCIATION OF EDUCATIONAL LEADERS (GAEL) AFFILIATES AND GEORGIA SCHOOL BOARDS ASSOCIATION (GSBA)