2022 GAEL Legislative Priorities
Provide Adequate Funding and Resources for Georgia’s Students
- FULLY Fund OUR CHILDREN’S EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM under the QBE formula by eliminating current austerity budget cuts for the FY22 mid-term allotment and the FY23 funding allotment.
- PROTECT THE INTERESTS OF THE MAJORITY OF GEORGIA’S CHILDREN by limiting the diversion of public funds to private education institutions through vouchers, scholarships, tuition credits, or tax exemptions.
- MANDATE ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY of private education institutions who accept public taxpayer funds by mandating accountability equivalent to public schools and requiring them to manually post their financial audits, academic progress, and demographic data to the public.
- RESCIND LEGISLATION THAT ELIMINATED FLEXIBILITY for the Early Intervention Program (EIP) that was permitted under current Charter and Strategic Waiver School System(SWSS) contracts in Gerogia.
- PROVIDE EQUITABLE BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS for ALL Georgia families by legislating and funding a ten-year strategy targeting rural and low wealth communities.
- BUILD SAFE AND POSITIVE LEARNING CLIMATES by revising the QBE funding formula to increase the number of counselors, school nurses, school safety professionals, and mental health professionals earned per student in Georgia schools.
- INVEST IN SUPPORT FOR REGIONAL EDUCATIONAL SERVICE AGENCIES (RESAs) to support rural school systems and to maximize collaboration and training for all Georgia school systems.
Provide Qualified Teachers and Leaders to Serve Georgia’s Students
- ENCOURAGE TEACHERS TO REMAIN IN GEORGIA AND IN THE PROFESSION by supporting and strengthening Georgia’s Teacher Retirement System (TRS) and state salary schedule.
- EXPAND GEORGIA’S “TEACHER PIPELINE” INITIATIVE by creating additional incentives to obtain teaching credentials and enter the profession.
- REDUCE THE CRITICAL SHORTAGE OF TEACHERS in Georgia classrooms by permitting retired educators in high-needs areas to return to work full time without losing their retirement benefits.
- ENSURE FAIR ACCOUNTABILITY for teachers and school leaders through valid, reliable, and effective measures.
Support Local School Board Authority
- STAND FOR LOCAL GOVERNANCE BY COMMUNITY BOARDS OF EDUCATION by ensuring that legislation is aligned with constitutional provisions regarding public school governance.
- ENSURE THAT SUPERINTENDENTS SERVING CHILDREN CONTINUE TO BE APPOINTED by locally elected boards based on a leader’s training and expertise.
SUPPORT THE POSITION STATEMENTS AND PRIORITIES OF THE GEORGIA ASSOCIATION OF EDUCATIONAL LEADERS (GAEL) AFFILIATES/ASSOCIATES AND GEORGIA SCHOOL BOARDS ASSOCIATION (GSBA)