2021 GAEL Legislative Priorities
Provide Adequate Funding and Resources for Georgia’s Students
- PROVIDE PANDEMIC FUNDING RELIEF by holding school systems harmless for temporary drops in enrollment on FTE reporting during the FY21 year for the purposes of determining the QBE funding allotments for FY22 and FY23.
- PROVIDE EQUITABLE BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS for ALL Georgia families by legislating and funding a five-year implementation strategy targeting rural and low wealth communities.
- PROTECT THE INTERESTS OF THE MAJORITY OF GEORGIA’S CHILDREN by limiting the diversion of public funds to private education institutions through vouchers, scholarships, tuition credits, or tax exemptions.
- BUILD SAFE AND POSITIVE LEARNING CLIMATES by funding expanded services and resources for school safety, health and nursing services, behavioral support, and mental health needs.
- INVEST IN SUPPORT FOR REGIONAL EDUCATIONAL SERVICE AGENCIES (RESAs) to support rural school systems and to maximize collaboration and training for all Georgia school systems.
Provide Qualified Teachers and Leaders to Serve Georgia’s Students
- ENCOURAGE TEACHERS TO REMAIN IN GEORGIA AND IN THE PROFESSION by supporting and strengthening Georgia’s Teacher Retirement System (TRS) and state salary schedule.
- REDUCE THE CRITICAL SHORTAGE OF TEACHERS in Georgia classrooms by permitting retired educators to return to work full time without losing their retirement benefit.
- ENSURE FAIR ACCOUNTABILITY for teachers and school leaders through valid, reliable, and effective measures. Advocate that any FY21 testing be used for achievement and remediation of students instead of for school accountability and employee evaluations.
Support Local School Board Authority
- STAND FOR LOCAL GOVERNANCE BY COMMUNITY BOARDS OF EDUCATION by ensuring that legislation is aligned with constitutional provisions regarding public school governance.
- ENSURE THAT SUPERINTENDENTS SERVING CHILDREN CONTINUE TO BE APPOINTED by locally-elected boards based on a leader’s training and expertise.
SUPPORT THE POSITION STATEMENTS AND PRIORITIES OF THE GEORGIA ASSOCIATION OF EDUCATIONAL LEADERS (GAEL) AFFILIATES/ASSOCIATES AND GEORGIA SCHOOL BOARDS ASSOCIATION (GSBA)