A Long Look at the General Assembly
Posted December 4, 2017 12:00 AM by Jimmy Stokes 18 comments
Although January 8, 2018, seems like a long way off, it really is just around the corner and it signals the beginning of a what must be a historical legislative session. What makes 2018 special?
- The 2018 General Assembly is the last hurrah for Governor Nathan Deal.Governor Deal’s eight years have been a roller coaster ride for Georgia public education.Unfortunately his two terms will be most remembered for the failure of Amendment 1 designed to take over Georgia’s failing schools.Much to his credit and the work of Rep. Kevin Tanner the Turnaround plan that resulted is both workable and reasonable.The fact that Governor Deal led the effort to adequately fund the Turnaround program is a credit to his support for public education.
- The 2018 General Assembly portends to be one of the shortest sessions in many years for two reasons.First there are NO major ground shaking issues on the plate and secondly re-election is chief on the minds of every legislator, particularly with the success that Democrats have had in recent special elections.Legislators may not receive campaign contributions once the session begins and until the session is over.Getting to the campaign/contributions trail as quickly as possible will certainly impact what happens under the Gold Dome.
- There has been significant change in the makeup of the General Assembly since the 2017 Session. A number of legislators have resigned to seek other offices and to take other jobs.Public education lost a great ally when Rep. Amy Carter of Valdosta resigned to take a position with the Technical College System of Georgia.She has been most vocal and supportive of public education in her eleven years in the General Assembly.She will be missed!The absence of David Shafer as President Pro Tem of the Senate will certainly impact the speed and effectiveness of Senate.With many legislators looking over their shoulder at the coming election, don’t expect them to get involved in controversial issues.
- The one thing that the 2018 General Assembly must do is pass the FY 2019 Budget.That task is made much easier by the state’s continued solid financial performance.Tax collections are up, AGAIN, and that means that there is considerable new money to cover pet projects.
The speed of the legislative session will be modulated by how quickly the Budget moves through committees.Last year the legislature pretty much abandoned their traditional week of budget hearings and moved on to the legislative calendar—expect the same this year.
- We can expect considerable political jockeying and grandstanding in front of the cameras as announced candidates compete for media attention.
- Please put February 20, 2018, on your calendar.That will be the GAEL/PAGE Day at the Capitol and gives you and other educational leaders an opportunity to have a presence under the Gold Dome.
More details on that day will come your way later.
Reader Comments18 comments
From: harry kaine, 05/22/19 11:33 PM
The general assembly comprises of several things that would benefit from changes or simply a major overhaul Concrete resurfacing
From: Jim Hudson, 05/20/19 05:15 PM
A pretty interesting look at the general assembly. Thank you for sharing.
Jim @ Tree Care In Augusta
From: Ronald M. Lynch, 05/17/19 09:14 AM
Thanks for the information on this. I really enjoy the write up. tree removal service
From: John, 05/15/19 10:47 AM
garage floor coating ashburn va
From: Joshua A. Price, 05/13/19 10:42 PM
So informative things are provided here,I really happy to read this post,I was just imagine about it and you provided me the correct information I really bookmark it,for further reading,So thanks for sharing the information. MacBook repair
From: John, 04/24/19 06:06 AM
Nice post! Very informative! epoxy flooring ashburn
From: sonia khan, 04/19/19 12:48 AM
As a part of this journal assembly i have resolved all the issues of constituency. In my constituency i have so much best schools which is really proud for me.
From: amir ali, 04/16/19 05:11 AM
From: Bertilde, 04/15/19 11:15 AM
the features for fillable pdf files can be found at https://ds11.pdffiller.com/en/features.htm. I am sure a lot more people will be inclined to using it once they get to know its full potential.
Spanish for kids
From: Jim, 04/04/19 07:41 PM
I'm studying Spanish. I use spanish dictionary online to look up new words. It also show me how to pronounce it. There are also online grammar lessons. It's really helpful for people who are new to Spanish.
From: malkova mali, 04/03/19 06:05 AM
Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here ! 192.168.1.1
From: samuelddarden, 04/03/19 01:08 AM
Love it . I’ve been looking for this info . Wonderful information I’ll check back for more info. game my talking angela
From: saritax, 03/25/19 01:34 AM
more links info:
From: Bruno, 03/13/19 02:13 AM
Just wait for the political jockeying.
yahoo mail sign up new email
From: Lucille F. Parham, 02/27/19 01:15 AM
Well, resolving such issues is important because of many reasons. brain puzzle games
Case in point, Kingston
From: Victor T. Lien, 02/13/19 12:42 AM
Case in point, Kingston, Ontario-based Skycap Financial is one of the leaders in Canada in providing a quick and easy online loan application process.
From: Git Lab, 02/04/19 06:51 AM
We don't have free market healthcare, FYI. And even if we did, this is an issue with Git Lab Citizens United and campaign finance - which desperately needs reform - not economics.
From: Anna, 01/25/19 03:51 AM
The fact that Governor Deal led the attempt to accurately fund the Turnaround application is a credit score to his support for public schooling. Legislators won't acquire marketing campaign contributions once the Custom Homework Service Pro Homework Help consultation starts off evolved and until the consultation is over. a number of legislators have resigned to seek different offices and to take other jobs. The absence of David Shaffer as President pro of the Senate will genuinely impact the velocity and effectiveness of Senate.